A residential school for boys has been located on Thompson's Island since 1835 when the Boston Aylum for Indigent Boys and the Boston Farm School Society merged and moved to the Island as the Boston Aylum and Farm School for Indigent Boys, popularly called the Boston Farm School. In 1907 its name was changed to the Farm and Trades School to reflect a change in its mission. In 1955 it became Thompson's Academy, a college preparatory school for urban boys. Thompson's Academy closed in 1975. Since 19## Thompsons Island has been home to Thompson Island Outward Bound.
Archives information Umass Boston
Worlds Fair 1975 - Boston Globe article 2012, FBHI Presentation 2011
Video by USNPS