Boston Harbor Island Alliance Educational Retail Shops
Boston Harbor Islands National Park Area Spring/Summer/Fall .
SEEKING: Volunteer Service Providers (VSP) to facilitate the smooth running of retail stores located in Boston Harbor Islands national park area. Boston Harbor Islands gift stores provide visitors the opportunity to buy educational materials, mementos or convenience items to help add to their enjoyment and understanding of the park and its resources.
ABOUT THE PARK:
The Boston Harbor Islands national park area includes 34 islands and peninsulas situated within the large "C" shape of the Greater Boston shoreline. The islands are rich in natural and cultural resources, and are managed by a unique Partnership of federal, state, city, and nonprofit agencies. Learn more at bostonharborislands.org.
DESCRIPTION OF POSITION:
The Volunteer Service Provider assists visitors in learning about the area, completes sales transactions, helps maintain displays, stocks the sales area and provides excellent customer service to the visitor. The VSP reports to the Director of Administration and Finance, Boston Harbor Island Alliance. However, daily scheduling and supervision is provided by Eastern National. The VSP should be available for volunteer training sponsored by Park partnership member organizations and Eastern National. The minimum time commitment for a volunteer accepting this position is one day a week for 12 weeks. A complement of volunteers will be needed to cover the full Park season which will include a part-time spring schedule, a full-time summer schedule and a part-time fall schedule.
- Gift Store functions
b. Maintain sails area as designed. Under guidance, create and maintain visual merchandising displays to promote store sales and interpret park’s themes. Keep stock neatly arranged. Put stock on display. Keep sales area clean and pleasant,
c. May open and close sales outlet, complete daily close out sheets, secure all monies in an Eastern National safe, clear register daily, and reconcile daily receipts with register totals.
d. May maintain petty cash and change funds.
e. May receive incoming merchandise and complete paperwork. Listen to requests from visitors on what they would like to know more about or would like to purchase; pass along the suggestions to Eastern National.
b. Inform visitors about what is going on in the park that day.
Other a. Gift store locations vary from island to island. Because each store is unique, the VSP may have other duties assigned that are based on the individual location’s special requirements.
b. Perform other duties as required to help the visitor have a positive experience.
- Desire to represent the park in a fun environment while selling gift store products and interacting with the public.
- Ability to travel routinely at least one day a week to either Georges or Spectacle Island for a minimum of 12 weeks.
- Ability to communicate clearly, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to learn to run a cash register and a charge machine. Mathematical ability.
- Ability to answer the basic questions of the visitors.
- Availability to undergo a routine CORI check.
- Agreement to wear National Park Service volunteer attire.
- Previous experience is not required, but prior customer service training is helpful. Willingness to work as part of a team, with a variety of partners, is essential. Volunteers should enjoy working with the public and must be able to commit to a regular schedule. Attendance at one park-held training session is required, additional training will be provided at worksite.
- The work may involve standing for a portion of the work shift with the possibility of some walking, lifting up to 30lbs, and some light dusting.
TIME COMMITMENT: A minimum of one day per week on either Spectacle or Georges Island for a minimum of 12 weeks. Shift times are to be determined, but will correspond to the boat times, and be about 5 hours (including travel time). Ferry tickets will be provided.
TO APPLY OR FOR MORE INFORMATION: Please send a resume or short biography, along with your availability to:
Contact: Mary Raczko
National Park Service
Boston Harbor Islands National Park Area
408 Atlantic Avenue, Suite 228
Boston, MA 02110